Microsoft Account verification code not working
Microsoft account verification code is required when either you are trying to reset the password or when you are trying to access the security information for the account.
The security information is an alternate contact email address or phone number that you add to your account for the recovery purpose.
Microsoft sends a verification code to that alternate email or phone number. When you give the code back to Microsoft, they know that you’re really you so they can help get you back into your Microsoft account.
But sometimes when you send a code it does not show up in your email inbox or phone message, even if you get the code it does not work and you get stuck.
The validity of a Microsoft Account Verification Code is only 5-10 mins after that the code won’t work and you have to get a new one.
Why does the Verification Code doesn’t work
- Junk/Spam – Sometimes the Verification email land in the spam or the junk folder especially when its Gmail or the yahoo email account
- Email forwarding – Check the rules and forwarding if you are not receiving the verification email
- Wrong email – There is a possibility that you are entering a wrong email address, as it shows only the first two letters of the email address and the domain (@outlook, @hotmail, @gmail, etc.)
- Wrong number – as it shows only the last two digits of the phone number linked, there is a possibility that you are typing a different number which also ends with the same digits.
- SafeGuard is turned on – Because it is an automated call, and if you have enabled BT protect or some other service which requires the caller to press some buttons to get through to the call receiver, in that case, you will not get a call with a code as it is an automated call which can not press any buttons (applicable for landline phones).
- Blacklisted – If your operator has blacklisted automated calls, in that case, you won’t be able to get any calls or text messages with the account verification code.
- No signal – Low or No tower on the mobile phones, please make sure you have enough memory to receive a text message (in case of non-smart phones) and enough mobile signals.
Code received but doesn’t work
If you have received the code, and even after entering the code it says invalid code, then check the Inbox or Messages again, you are entering an old verification code.
The Verification Code is valid only for 5-10 mins if you enter the code later than that it won’t work.